Monday, January 26, 2009

It's all about the poker swings

So last week I had hit my goal of earning $300 by the end of the month. This week I swong all the way down to $115 and am now back to $188. It was ridiculous, most of that swing was down in a 48 hour period and then back up over 24 hours. During that 48 hour downswing it was like I could do nothing right. I played tight and all my hands were called and eventually out run on the river by very loose opponents. I tried to combat this by being alittle more aggressive and it didn't matter they still called and I got out run.

I held myself together for the most part and I am proud of that. It was very frustrating and nerve racking. I probably didn't play quite as well due to frustration and aggravation but overall I can't complain. Part of my issue was I should have just continued to play very tight. I got alittle loose trying to play back at these loose calling stations. I still would have had a big downswing but most likely could have slowed it down by at least 30 to 40 percent.

I have a week to get my bankroll back up to $300. This is possible, but even if I don't hit $300 in earnings I will hit my goals overall for the month if I can at least get to $250 because I expect to exceed my goal on rakeback. I should be pretty close to $150 in rakeback versus the $100 I had planned on.

Keep winning big pots,
Brandon Mark

2 comments:

  1. ok, it's Friday now. Tell me you hit your $300 goal!

    Setting goals seems a pretty good idea, but do you plan what to do or think if you don't meet it? Sometimes when a goal goes south it can make things worse as you start to over-push to make the shortfall. Sounds like you had a set of goals, so meeting 75% of the goals is still a success though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. If I get two far behind on my goals then I will simply readjust them for the remainer of the year. If you see my latest post then you will know that I did hit my goal but just barely.

    Although I am impatient and want to improve quickly I also understand that is unrealistic. My focus is to set small goals and focus on hitting the small goals over and over again. If I have trouble hitting my goals it then it's not about becoming more aggresive but about creating even smaller goals so that I can hit them. If I can consistently hit small goals then I will eventually accomplish my bigger objectives.

    ReplyDelete