Monday, January 26, 2009

My comments on another's blog

This was a response I just posted on a buddy's blog. It was in response to this post http://vizer02.blogspot.com/2009/01/to-stay-pro-or-notthat-is-question.html . As you may read below I was alittle passion about what I was saying but similar questions to this come up often on poker forums. I think people go thinking about it all wrong.


If I may... when making decisions like this you have to look at what is it you want to accomplish? In 1 year, 3 years, 5 years etc. If you goal is to quickly settle down and get into some sort of a routine then so be it. Take the job, but in the end you have to ask yourself what are you looking to gain ultimately from that job? You have to look at the same thing with poker and ask yourself the same questions. I often hear online pros make BS comments like, "I need to do something that is more fullfilling or I need more social interaction or I need to be impacting the world more".

Then somehow they come to the conclusion that a job is the answer? I can promise you one thing the guys who like playing poker and have jobs are probably saying something like, "I never have time with my family, I work way to much, I'm underpaid and unappreciated, I need to play poker professionally".

It's the classic 80/20 rule. We spend so much time focusing on the 20 precent we don't have we never really appreciate the 80 precent we do have. This is true if you are playing poker already or have a job.I think the most important question is what do you want to do in life. Travel the work, make a boatload of money (I know thats prob not you) or get married have 2.5 kids and the picket fence. Then you have to figure out what avenue will be best for you. Some jobs will get you there and some poker pros can get there with poker. Once your mind is made up. Then I would focus hardcore on that path with a singularity. Start reaching your goals and dreams as fast as you can. Live by design not by default.

Oh and back to the BS about poker not being fulfilling and not impacting the world... this is true of most people's jobs. Besides its not what you paid to do that has the most impact it's what you do with the time you aren't being paid and what you do with the money that is being paid to you. On the same note.. it's not what you for a living that defines who you are; its what you do that defines who you are...

I hope I helped bro,
Brandon Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment